Rosedale has a rich historical and industrial past, the remains of which are not ugly scars on the landscape but rather add to its majestic beauty. There are traces from the Iron Age, medieval records of ironstone industry from the 12/13th century, the remains of a priory, through to French glass makers in the late 16th century, the Rosedale branch of the North Eastern Railway, completed in 1861, and the single track to the East mines in 1865. The decline in ironstone production led to the closure of the mines by 1926, and the end of the railway line by 1929… In August the moors are clothed in a cloak of purple heather…These paintings are currently exhibited in Coast Gallery, Cloughton.

One of Rosedale’s rounded hills, the result of geological processes and erosion.

The trace of the East branch of the old railway line, with the remains of a brick built water tank.

Chimney Bank, possibly the steepest road in England? Showing the old kilns at the top, And White Horse Farm Pub below


And here is the latest one, nearly dry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *